"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph Smith

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p758/owlpostreviews/GIFS/tumblr_mr7rzhgHCI1sew79jo1_500_zpsf179aad5.gif

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Adjusting and Bonding

The past couple days have been about just that: Adjusting and Bonding. We got approval to go home 24 hours after placement (we were anticipating up to a week) and we were so excited! We decided to stay for a few more days to help with the transition for Ben.

It was nice to come home and get back to normality - somewhat. The first day was pretty hectic and stressful. Trying to unpack amid helping Ben get to know the place, as well as helping Aria feel like she was getting enough attention, etc. Yesterday was better, and today even better.

Adjusting hasn't been easy, but is going well. For Ben it's going better than we thought. He's starting to come out of the shell he's been in with us. He really started acting more normal and lively tonight. He doesn't love his room yet. He isn't going down to sleep as easily as he used to yet. He's starting to push back when Aria pushes him. For Aria it's been pretty difficult. She's struggling with the change quite a bit. Having a new sibling that steals your toys already hasn't been an easy adjustment for her. We do a lot of things to consciously be working at making things easier for her, and we see it working, but she's still just not liking the change enough yet. It's okay though, she's normal, and this is expected. Drew's adjusting slower than me though. Bonding for him will be a little slower than it will be for me. I've spent a bit more time around Ben, and with being the mom, I'm around him more. Things have been really stressful for me, but it's all going well.

Tomorrow Me, Aria and Ben start swimming lessons. I think he's really going to like it. Aria will for sure. My nephew Kyle is going come with me as this is a parent-tot class and they are with a parent the whole time. He'll have Ben, and me - Aria. Aria wont want to share me, and Kyle will do awesome with him, and he already likes Kyle. He's so sweet to help me. Ben's a bit nervous on slides and heights, so I'm not sure he'll do the big slides on the last day.



6 comments:

Millie said...

Darn! I was hoping you would let me help you out with the swimming lessons.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I can't believe how awesome it was to hug him and hold him and blow raspberries on his neck today. He's such a loveable kid!

And that adjusting will happen quickly enough. Especially since you have been so conscious of everyone's needs, and are doing everything in your power to meet those needs. Those kids couldn't ask for a better mom! Ben and Aria both just beam around you.

tammy said...

So cute. Maybe I'll get to see you at the pool! I'm glad he's finally home!

Losee's said...

I'm glad to hear Ben is adjusting well! I hope Aria gets use to it soon. Poor little girl, such big changes! It sounds like you are doing a great job giving her the attention she needs too.

Janet said...

Oh I beat they will love swimming and that's awesome everything is going so good.

Shilo said...

I am so excited for you guys! Kris I always knew that you would be the most amazing mom. You are always so fun and patient. I miss you!