"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph Smith

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p758/owlpostreviews/GIFS/tumblr_mr7rzhgHCI1sew79jo1_500_zpsf179aad5.gif

Monday, March 12, 2012

An update on Family

I'm interrupting my auto-scheduled posts I did a week ago with the latest on my brother and his family as a few people have been asking how they are doing.

I'll back up a little for those that don't know.

4 days before Christmas my brother Paul's house caught of fire from an unknown hole in chimney duct work in the walls. It pretty much gutted their house. They lost a lot. They had to live in a hotel for a few weeks (including over Christmas) and then after the new year they were able to get into a temporary house until the end of this month.

About a month ago, my 14 year old nephew (his son) was in a car accident. He was injured pretty bad, but is doing okay now. Adding this to the stresses was rough enough, but then fast forward to a few days ago...

Paul is very handy and is skilled to do a lot of things. He is doing the electrical and quite a few other things on his house which is helping with the insurance coverage stuff (trying to simplify details). My sister-in-law and the kids have been helping him as well, along with my parents and others (I'm not sure of everyone, and I didn't want to leave anyone out!)

A few days ago Paul was climbing onto roof from the ladder and slipped. With nothing to grab a hold of, he went all the way to the ground. He landed sprawled out on his back with his head across the decorative wood around their sidewalk hitting his neck on it, along with hurting his hips, right elbow, left shoulder area, tailbone area, and something with his ankle (it didn't swell until later that day, so they didn't notice it at first with everything else being so painful).
He was rushed in an ambulance to the hospital. Luckily my Dad and Paul's neighbor were able to give him a blessing in the ambulance.

When my sister-in-law called me, she was trying so hard to be strong and get out all the details. I started crying. She broke down. My parents were at her house with the kids, and she was all alone. Her best friend and my niece got there really quick to be with her, thank goodness. (Although, tisk tisk LeeAnn for driving almost 100 mph to get there! Don't want 2 casualties!) ;)

We got there as soon as we could, and he had checked himself out of the hospital. Said he felt okay enough to go home. He didn't want to be there. What?! He just fell off a roof, they let them make that decision themselves?!

It's a miracle how well he is doing now.

When I saw him, bruises weren't formed yet. They were just starting. He was sore. The bruises and swelling are still pretty bad today. He needs help to move around.

Miraculously nothing is broken (that they've found, at least...). Not his hips, neck, shoulder or elbow. His skin is split on his back in the shape of his shoulder blade even. Who knows though, how some of these things will ache and affect him down the road.

It's been a stressful and trying time for my dear brother, his family, and our family, and all those who know and love them.

We are all praying for them and trying to help out wherever we can now that he isn't able to finish the things on his house by the deadline on his own. Aria is always worried about him as it is (for some reason she's convinced something is wrong with his knee for the past year), and now she's even more concerned. On our way down there, on her own she shouted: "Mommy! Say a prayer for Paul!"

Hoping for the best for them, and for them to catch a break.

7 comments:

Tiecen said...

Geez Louise! That's too much! I'm so sorry and I wish there was something I could do to help. Let me know if there is.

On another note, your kids are so cute!

Peggy Eddleman said...

This made me cry all over again! It's amazing what their family has had to go through this past 2 1/2 months. And it's amazing what that blessing did for him! Especially considering they worried that he'd broken his neck and crushed his hips. I hope he heals completely!

Janet said...

Ahh the was good Kristine, I guess I miss alot of the small detail living so far away, thats pretty cool Aria reminds you that praying is important when someone is hurt you taught her well...

i'm erin. said...

Wow that's bad luck! I'm sorry that they're going through all of that. If you need help babysitting, call me.

Melanee said...

I didn't even know. I haven't been on facebook much and haven't been anywhere. I am so sorry for not being there for Misty. We definitely need to be praying for a change of pace for them.

BumbersBumblings said...

Kristen, what a horrible trail of events! I'm so glad they are all okay! Prayers and hugs for you!

JoMamma said...

Holly cow. I am so sorry that all of this has happened to them. One of those things is enough for one family for a life time. YIKES