"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph Smith

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p758/owlpostreviews/GIFS/tumblr_mr7rzhgHCI1sew79jo1_500_zpsf179aad5.gif

Friday, September 9, 2011

Thoughts of the day - Being Sensitive to... Everyone

Recently Peggy and I had a conversation that basically pointed out to me that I have been being too sensitive and taking offense when none is necessarily intended (No, she didn't do any offending, I was just sharing my feelings with her and she pointed it out).

Then, I read this blog post about a similar thing: BraveGirlsClub.com (seriously worth the read.)

I've had a lot of things happen to me in my life where I've needed to be handled gently. Especially speaking with infertility. One day I'll write down all my feelings and the details of those 6 long years and beyond (as a friend once said: just because you adopt, doesn't mean you aren't still infertile.) It's a daunting task. It does mean, however that I know how sensitive you need to be to people in general.

There is an adoption blog I follow that is pretty popular in the adoption world. The R House. She was on Studio 5 yesterday and posted the interview about being sensitive to those who have have dealt with pregnancy loss. Since I have a close family member who has dealt with this, among many friends too, it especially caught my attention.

I follow a few blogs of people I know or know of who are dealing with things like their children who have cancer, epilepsy, etc. (like this one and this one and a close friend who dealt with it) and that are very open about their feelings an what they are going through. They need to be handled with gentleness.

Many others have things that we just don't know about because they don't wear those signs around their necks.

It's easy to take people's comments hurtfully. Both when they are meant that way, and when they aren't. I've heard all sorts of things (MOST of which just roll off my back, others weasel their way in) like how they get pregnant so easily. Or how the lady down the street got pregnant off InVitro, so that means I will. Or disparaging comments about how my life must be easy because I am a stay-at-home-mom (I'm sure every stay-at-home mom is laughing right now!) Or any number of things I don't need to list.

So... point of all of this - #1: Handle people more gently, you never know what they are going through. #2: Be tougher. When people don't handle you gently, brush it off. Don't let other people decide your worth.

6 comments:

i'm erin. said...

Dang. I know this post was for me. First, I'm always offensive. And second I bawl like a baby when I think someone is being mean to me. Ugh.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Both your points are spot on. Not that it's always easy, but definitely important. And it's so true about not always knowing what is going on in people's lives. Great post!

Melanee said...

I will say this- First-Brave Girls Club is awesome!!!! Second-You have just said the biggest reason why I haven't been around. Big things do happen to other people, that you don't want everyone to know about, for whatever reason. It is very hard when the little things get to you.
You are totally awesome. I want you to know how much I admire you and the way you have handled your battles.

John Teal said...

Never take afence, take a gate its cheaper..

Sorry, couldn't resist

RJR daydreamer

Ella said...

That is just one of the most Beautiful post's I've seen! I love you Kristine!!! I know exactly what you are talking about!!!

jim and wendi said...

Love it!!!