If you are anything like me... that title would turn you off. However, I made them anyway. I did the Bountiful Baskets thing with Peggy on Saturday and she gave me this recipe to use with some of the things we got so I made it for Sunday dinner! They turned out SO SO SO yummy!
Here's the recipe with my opinions.
1 3/4 C Raisin Bran Cereal (Minus the raisins, because come on, raisins in muffins is gross). You can also use corn flakes, etc.
1 1/4 C Flour
3/4 C Sugar
1 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon (I put in an extra 1/2 tsp because cinnamon was made in the heavens to be enjoyed by all!)
1/4 tsp Salt
Combine these ingredients together.
In a separate bowl, beat:
1 Egg
3/4 C Buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, you can put appx 1 tsp of vinegar into regular milk for about 10-15 min, stir, and then mix it in)
1/4 C Canola Oil
Then stir that into the dry mixture and mix until just wet.
Then, fold in:
3/4 C Finely chopped, peeled, tart apple (which is about 1 medium sized apple. Do not use Golden Delish apples)
3/4 C Grated Carrots (I practically pureed mine because I didn't want to get the texture too much of the carrots. 'Cause that's just gross.)
The recipe then says something about nuts, but that's grosser than big chunks of carrots or raisins in a muffin, so just leave those out. Especially if sharing with others. They'll like your cooking better. Trust me. ;)
VERY IMPORTANT STEP: Sprinkle the top with brown sugar.
Then, bake at 400 degrees for 20-23 min.
These freeze well too!
Makes 12 muffins. Prep time is about 15-20 min.

9 comments:
This recipe is so similar to the muffins my Grandma Judy makes, but they're called "bran muffins". I love them! They keep you regulated. haha! Seriously though. I'll have to give this particular recipe a try. Those muffins looks delicious! Or maybe it's just the photo that makes me want to try one ;) Great shot!
Heh, heh! Kristine! I never knew you had so many 'opinions' regarding muffins! (opinions=stuff that's gross) And you're right about cinnamon!
Is there anything that you should put raisins or nuts in. :) I like nuts in my brownies, and oatmeal raisin cookies. Does that make me gross?
@ Millie - But "Bran" muffins are what old people eat! j/k
@ Tammy - I have lots of 'opinions' about brownies too. Pretty similar.
@ Joann - Yes, that does make you gross. Hahaha!
I shouldn't have looked at your blog!! I'm starving!! Those look sooooo good and YES raisins in food is gross!!
I shouldn't have looked at your blog!! I'm starving and those look soooo good!! and Yes!! raisins in any type of bread is gross!!
What?!! Turned off by the title? I see a recipe with my name right in the title, and I think, "Yum."
But that's just me. :)
They look yummy but carrot cake stuff do need nuts IMO!!! Cute!
Thank for the taste and the recipe, they were so delicious.
Post a Comment