"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph Smith

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p758/owlpostreviews/GIFS/tumblr_mr7rzhgHCI1sew79jo1_500_zpsf179aad5.gif

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Remembering those who are not yet mothers

Mothers day used to be so hard for me. I always tried to focus on my mom and Drew's mom, but the reminder of not having children to call my own always came seeping in. I tried to be strong, but in a second of weakness, there it was. Reducing me to tears. I always felt silly at church when the young men would pass out Mother's day gifts - they give them to all women over 18, but it was hard to accept it. I have so many friends and even family members who are not able to conceive. And I'm especially thinking at this time of my dear sweet sister-in-law and brother-in-law who lost a baby a little over a year ago. I can't even imagine what she has been through.

I was in Hawaii for one Mother's Day, and that was probably one of the easier ones. I missed my mom a lot, but she and my mother-in-law were the only mothers I thought of that day. We were in the middle of the inVitro process and would be having the procedure done when we got home. I had hopes, and that made things easier too.

I accepted my infertility long before Aria came along. Though I always wanted to adopt from an early age, it's still something I had to go through. It's changed me. It's made me more sensitive to others who are or were in our situation. It also made Drew and I much, much, much stronger as a couple. I learned to really rely on him and trust him with all I can. He became my rock, and still very much is.

This video was posted on LDS Adoption Connection and I will warn you, it's depressing. It is, however, pretty typical. 



I also wanted to repost this from AM2 - it's a poem about those not yet mothers also.


“Happy Mother's Day” 
it comes around every year;
but when you have empty arms, 

it's very hard to hear. 


It's a day to celebrate a mother;
for all the trials she overcame; 

and a reminder to an infertile 
of her loneliness and shame. 

But what really makes a mother, 
Is it just conception and birth? 
Or is there something more, 
that shows a mother's worth? 

It's putting your child first, 
in everything you do; 
it's sacrifice and determination, 
and love and patience too. 

An infertile woman makes all her plans, 
around a child not yet conceived; 
she loves them even though they aren't here, 
more than she ever could have believed. 

She appreciates and understands, 
what a blessing that children are; 
she works hard for just a chance, 
that motherhood is not that far. 

All odds are stacked against her, 
and yet she still has hope; 
everyday is another struggle, 
finding ways to help her cope. 

So even though her arms are empty, 
she can still be a mother too; 
So say a special “Happy Mother's Day” 
for those waiting for their dreams to come true! 

By Rachel Holden

6 comments:

Weight Family said...

Awesome that you are thinking of others today! I am so happy you have your sweet baby to love! Miss you!

jim and wendi said...

Thank you! Love you!

Millie said...

We're stronger than most.

The Davis' said...

You are so sweet. Thank you for thinking of us. I really am so happy for you two! I remember being with you and Shonagh at church a few years ago and we all cried. I love you and I know that these trials will only make us stronger, better people. I can't wait for the day where we all have a few kids running around at the Davis', how fun that will be!

Millie said...

Kristine, I know I'm not speaking for myself when I ask: how was your Mother's Day, and why haven't you posted anything about it yet?

Peggy said...

I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say that you went through the trying and not succeeding part of infertility with remarkable strength and character. I know it was hard for you to be around people who were getting pregnant, but you NEVER showed that it was hard around them. You never made anyone feel bad about having what you were trying for. I've never met anyone who went through it with as much grace as you did. You are an amazing person, and I know how lucky I am to not only count you as my sister, but also my best friend.