"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph Smith

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p758/owlpostreviews/GIFS/tumblr_mr7rzhgHCI1sew79jo1_500_zpsf179aad5.gif

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Memorial Day


Though Memorial day was a couple weeks ago, I've put off making this post because it's been a very emotional one for me. And I'm not 100% sure why this one's been so much harder. I guess because my daughter never got to meet my grandma. Atleast not here on earth.

I've only ever known 1 grandparent. My mom's mom. Just after I turned 11, she was killed by a drunk driver. I really loved my Grandma. She had bought a new pair of shoes for me for my birthday that she hadn't given me yet. I wore them until the soles were gone. I think about her often. I wonder what she'd look like 18 years later. I wonder what she'd have said in the grandparent's letter I needed for school that hadn't sent off to her in time. I wonder how my mom would love to have her mother around through all these years.

It took me a while to accept the reality of what had happened in my 11 year old brain. I didn't cry until after her funeral. I guess it took actually seeing my grandma, and the casket of my aunt who was with her to make it make sense to me that it really happened and that life was now different. There were a lot of things that would change. My uncle remarried a few years later, and my aunt Lynn is a huge blessing to the entire family. It's odd to consider the blessings that have come out of a tragedy.

I still love those little strawberry candies with the soft center she always had on her coffee table. Grandma, I still love you tons.

5 comments:

tammy said...

Ahh...strawberry hard candies with the soft center.....totally a grandma candy!

I only knew one grandparent as well. I tell my kids all the time how lucky they are to have all four grandparents!

Peggy said...

I really miss her, too, and your post made me cry. I was eighteen when she died, so I guess it was half of my lifetime ago.

I'm glad that you married into grandparents. And, like Tammy, I make sure my kids know how lucky they are to have so many grandparents! It makes me so happy for them, since it's just something we never really knew.

Ella said...

This totally made me cry too! I knew two grandparents, but one was not really around me so I had my mom's mom, which was like a mom to me because I lived with her. This reminded me of her, she died at a young age of 55 when I was fifteen. I'm sorry you were so young, eleven is the best age with a grandma. My kids are also lucky, they have four grandparents and My little Isabella has more grandparents than she can count!!
I like those strawberry candies!!

Janet said...

Ahh,I miss her too and think of her often, I found the other day those feathers we put in our hair when we were kids and the kids wanted to know where I got those,I remember I had the flu on thanksgiving one year and she was at the house and I was laying on the couch and she kissed my four head, she was a sweet grandma.

Julie said...

Kris, what a good post, it made me cry too. I am glad you have the memories you do have.